Laborless Labor Day!

So, at the last minute my friend and I nixed our plans to form some type of labor day girls adventure.  She was going to Coney Island while I was going to a friend of a friend's picnic in Central Park.  As if I had all the time in the world I waited until the night before the picnic to choose a dish to make to share.  Of course I went to my trusty Pinterest boards to look for inspiration.  While I was there I found a picture of a delicious bruschetta type dish.  Crusty bread, thinly sliced lengthwise with a creamy herb spread.  For the toppings there were heirloom cherry tomatoes, avocados and red onions.  I clicked on the link and much to my chagrin I got the deadly error message.  "The page you have requested no longer exists".  So after screaming, "Noooooooo!" and shaking my fist into the air in pain and a vow for retribution, I scoured the boards to find the source of the link.  I found the source, but it was a dead end.
I decided that I wasn't going to back down but win! I said to myself, " I'll do what I've done before....figure it out."  Well, thankfully I did and I'm giving you my recipe for this vine-ripened tomato and avocado tart.  I'm not a huge fan of onions.  I never use them as toppings unless caramelized.  So, you'll see those missing from my recipe.
This tart is super pretty and delish.  I can't wait to make it again when the heirloom tomatoes start appearing.  Fall will be here any minute and I can't wait to share my thoughts on the arts in Fall 2013 and plenty of fall inspired recipes!  Whoohoo!
In the meantime enjoy our last bits of summer.  This dish worked because it was fast and easy and since everyone at the picnic had decided to bring desserts, everyone was grateful for the savory dish and devoured it quickly.  Happy eaters make me a happy cook! :-)  Sorry for the lack of "Arts" on this post but I figured that the pretty tart could suffice this one time as our artistic piece.  If the tart doesn't suffice for you, would it help if I said that some of the Brooklyn Tabernacle Singers were there?  They were, but they didn't sing for us.  They were friends of the friend and just hung out.  Enjoy!

Procrastinator's Veggie Tart
Ingredients:
1 can (8 oz) Pillsbury® Crescent Recipe Creations® refrigerated seamless dough sheet
3-4 vine tomatoes
2 avocados
1 pkg herb goat cheese
1 8oz container of low-fat cream cheese
Italian Herb Seasoning
Sea Salt
Ground Black Pepper
2 tbsp Olive Oil
Juice from half of a lemon

Directions:
1.Spray baking sheet with non-stick olive oil cooking spray.  Then roll out the entire sheet of Pillsbury® dough onto the baking sheet.  Put the 2 tbsps of olive oil on the dough and spread it all over the dough, whilst shifting the dough so that it covers the entire surface of the baking sheet.  Make sure you have no holes in your dough when you do this. There may be thin spots like in mine. Just try to be gentle or use edges of the crust to fill in holes.

2. Next bake your crust at 350 degrees for 10-12minutes.

3. While your crust is baking whip together the goat cheese and cream cheese into a smooth consistency.  Sprinkle more Italian Herb Seasoning into this mix.  Also, slice your tomatoes and avocados into thin layers.

4. After your cheese mixture is whipped into a smooth and manageable consistency spread it onto your warm, but not hot, crust.  The warm crust makes the cheese that much easier to spread evenly.

5. Lay your avocados on top of the crust, then lay your tomatoes on top of the avocados. Sprinkle tart with Sea Salt and Ground Pepper to taste.  Then squeeze the juice from half a lemon all over the tart focusing on the bits of avocado that still peek through.

*Tip - I had squeezed some lemon juice on my avocados to stop them from browning before I laid them on my crust.  This is an important step to keep your tart pretty and tasty.

When all is said and done, Voila!



Now, you have a beautiful, delicious and healthy Procrastinator's Veggie Tart to share with friends at a picnic or dinner party.  Break a leg!

Ebony








2 comments:

  • Chris | September 30, 2013 at 9:05 PM

    I'm enjoying reading your recipes - this veggie tart sounds so good. I like how you changed the Cilantro Thai Chicken to a whole one - I might try it that way, pus several of your other recipes that I copied.
    I rarely watch the Emmy's anymore - I'm so old, I never know anyone on the tv these days, especially since I only seem to watch Brit movies and shows on PBS or online. However, it's nice to hear that Cicely Tyson is still going strong, I've admired her a long time.
    Nice blog and good reading, keep it up!

  • Ebony | October 26, 2013 at 12:33 PM

    Hi Chris! Thanks so much for the encouragement. I'm so glad that you are enjoying the blog! I enjoy writing for it. - Ebony

Post a Comment